Tamale Pie is simply a great way to use leftover Chili. You’ll need 3 to 4 cups. The tastiest topping is half a recipe of Chili Cheese Corn Muffins, but you can prepare an 8.5 oz box of corn muffin mix, such as Jiffy brand, if you are in a rush.
For the Chili ( if you don’t have any leftovers)
3/4 lbs ground sirloin
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 large onion, chopped
1/2 large green bell pepper, chopped
1 Tbs chili powder
1/4 tsp cumin
1 10 oz can diced tomato, with green chili
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1/2 cup beef stock
1 15 ounce can cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 15 ounce can can red beans, in chili sauce
For the Topping:
1 cup self-rising cornmeal mix
1/2 tsp sugar
2 Tbsp diced serrano or jalepeno chili peppers
2 oz shredded 2% sharp cheddar cheese
1 medium egg
2 oz light sour cream
2 Tbsp canola oil or coconut oil
1/2 cup low fat buttermilk
1. For the Chili (if you don’t have any leftovers):
2. In a large pot over medium heat, brown the ground beef, seasoned with salt and pepper. Add the chopped onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring frequently, until the veggies are soft. Add the chili powder and cumin. Cook and stir 3 more minutes.
3. Add the tomatoes with green chilies, cover and simmer 30 minutes.
4. Add the tomato sauce and beef broth, then cover and simmer 30 minutes more.
5. Add the 2 cans of beans, cover and simmer an additional 30 minutes.
6. For the Topping:
7. When the chili has simmered, preheat the oven to 425° and spray a glass loaf pan or similar baking dish with non-stick spray.
8. In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal mix, sugar, peppers, and cheese. Make a well in the center.
9. In a medium bowl, combine the remaining ingredients, in listed order, mixing well after each addition. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stirring until just combined. Let stand 5 minutes.
10. While the topping is resting, pour the simmering chili into the baking dish, then pour on the topping.
11. Bake until golden brown, about 20 to 25 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
12. Serve with your choice of toppings, such as shredded cheese, sour cream, or green onions.