This recipe came to me completely by accident. I started out to make breakfast rolls, but since my apple butter was freshly made and still warm, I decided the dough needed to be chilled before slicing. In trying to transfer the rolled dough to a baking sheet I nearly dropped it on the floor, leaving two misshapen loaves of bread on the baking sheet. This recipe is the delicious result. Try toasting it and spreading a little more of that apple butter on top.
1. Prepare 1 recipe of Faster Yeast Rolls and divide in half, or purchase 2 loaves of frozen bread dough and thaw to room temperature.
2. Preheat the oven to 425°.
3. Heat the apple butter until it is just a bit warmer than room temperature, but not hot.
4. On a lightly floured surface, roll each half into a rectangle, a little larger than 12 by 9 inches.
5. Spread half the melted butter on each, stopping about 1″ from the long side. Repeat by spreading the apple butter the same way.
6. Starting from a long side, tightly roll the dough as you would for cinnamon rolls, pinching along the edge to close.
7. Place the bread seam side down on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake about 30 minutes or until golden brown.
8. Cool slightly before slicing.
Yield: 2 loaves